Seniors are often advised to adopt a diet that is low in fat and high in protein. However, these diets like keto diet for seniors can be difficult with mobility issues or other dietary restrictions. The keto diet has been shown to help reduce the risks of obesity, diabetes, heart disease, stroke and even Alzheimer’s Disease. It may also help control blood sugar levels when combined with medication therapy.
What you'll read:
Keto Diet for Seniors
With increase in age, the metabolism of a person slows down and it becomes difficult for elderly people to lose weight as they have less muscle mass than young adults.
In this case, keto diet can be beneficial because it has been proved that following keto diet will help you to lose weight faster than following any other diet.
Anyone can follow keto diet, but the most important thing is to find a dietician who can give you right advice. If you are an aged person and want to follow keto diet, you should consult your doctor first.
Old people can follow keto diet if they are not taking any medication or supplements.
It is very important for old people to maintain proper nutrition, otherwise it may lead to several health related problems such as diabetes and heart diseases.
Keto diet has been proved effective in reducing blood sugar level so that people with type-II diabetes can follow keto diet without worrying about blood sugar level.
Avoid taking high amount of carbohydrate in your meal as it can disturb the blood sugar level and also avoid eating fructose because fructose takes more time to digest than glucose which leads to excess production of triglyceride that may increase cholesterol level.
Consulting a nutritionist or following a keto diet plan will help you to get the desired result.
Keto Diet For Over 60 to 70 Years
Senior citizens who are between 60 to 70 years of age can also follow keto diet. If you want to reduce weight, then it is the best option for you because old people need 30% protein in their meal and if they do not take high amount of protein in their food, then there is a risk that muscles will start wasting away which can lead to many other problems. If they follow the ketogenic food plan, then it can lead to many health problems such as:
- muscle wastage and bone loss which is very dangerous at old age.
- Kidney stones, gallstones etc are common in aged people due to increase uric acid level which will be more if you follow keto diet.
- Heart diseases and diabetes are common in aged people because of the high amount of protein intake which will be more if you follow the ketogenic food plan.
- You will not be able to control your hunger which can lead to over eating and weight gain.
- Your cholesterol level will increase which is very dangerous for your health.
- You can develop fatigue and dizziness due to low carbohydrate intake in keto diet.
- Ketosis can be very harmful to your health if not taken in right amount and for right time.
So, it is better and safer for old people to avoid keto diet. If you want to reduce weight, then it is the best option only if you follow it for a short period.
Precautions When Following Keto Diet For Elderly
If you are over 60 or 70 years of age, then it is necessary that you follow some precautions while taking this low carbohydrate high fat food. Such as these ones:
- Reduce the intake of protein because too much intake of protein can lead to kidney stones and gallstones.
- Consume low amount of carbs because too much intake of carbohydrate can increase the blood pressure which is very dangerous for old people.
- Follow a healthy lifestyle by eating fresh fruits and vegetables, doing exercise daily and avoiding junk food or processed foods with preservatives in it.
- You can take more salt in your diet to avoid fatigue or dizziness.
- You must drink lots of water and fresh vegetable juice daily because it will help you to stay hydrated and control uric acid level.
- Do not add extra salt while cooking food items, instead use Himalayan pink rock salt because too much intake of sodium can lead to heart diseases.
- Avoid consuming alcohol and smoking because it is injurious to your health.
- You must take B12 supplement daily because it is important for old people who are following ketogenic food plan which can increase uric acid level in the body.
So, now you know all the precautions and benefits of taking keto diet for seniors. If you follow these tips carefully then you will get rid of extra weight and won’t feel any health issues.
Keto Diet For Seniors – Conclusion
If you are over the age of 50, 60 or 70 years, then it is necessary that you follow a keto diet for seniors in the right way. It is necessary to consult your doctor before starting this food plan or workout program and also take vitamin supplements for healthy living.
It is very important that you avoid taking high amount of protein and salt because it can disturb uric acid level which may lead to health problems such as kidney stones, gallstones etc.
So, keto diet for elderly people should be followed properly if you want healthy and fit life. Consult your doctor regularly before starting this food plan or workout program so that he can guide you step by step how much protein intake daily as well as what type of exercises are beneficial for an aged person.