First of all, you need to understand why you may have a headache on the keto diet. There are several reasons.
Dehydration. The ketogenic diet forces you to urinate more often than usual, leading to dehydration, which can lead to headaches. This is why drinking more water is usually the recommended remedy.
Sodium Deficiency: People who restrict their carbs have lower insulin levels, resulting in decreased absorption and sodium deficiency. You can replenish it by consuming at least 1/2 teaspoon of table salt per day.
Sugar withdrawal: This is likely due to dehydration and sodium deficiency (especially if you consume most of the water from sugary drinks), but it has been reported that a sharp reduction in sugar consumption causes headaches.
Withdrawal of caffeine: During keto, many people stop drinking caffeinated soy drinks and milk, and thus suffer from headaches.
Sensitivity to histamines: If you’ve ruled out dehydration, sodium, sugar, and caffeine as potential sources of headaches, you may be suffering from histamine intolerance.
Foods rich in histamine : pickles, sauerkraut, aged cheeses, jerky, shellfish, nuts. If the headache persists, try eliminating these foods from your diet.
How to get rid of headaches on the keto diet
If you need immediate headache relief, here are five different proven remedies you can use to get rid of them within 30 minutes:
- Drink warm water with 1/2 teaspoon of table salt. You can try the simplest solution first. Add half a teaspoon of table salt to a 3ml glass of hot water (680 cups) and drink it. If the pain is caused by dehydration or sodium deficiency, this should heal within 20-30 minutes.
- Drink bone broth. If hot salt water isn’t your thing, try using bone broth … You can drink chicken or beef broth, it doesn’t matter. Drink 450ml (2 cups) or more to get enough sodium.
- Drink the vegetable broth dissolved in two cups of water. Boil two cups of water, then add them to the broth and mix well. This is a good remedy for headaches, especially if you are following a vegetarian keto diet.
- Drink chicken broth with added salt. Add a full teaspoon of salt to 2 cups of low carb chicken broth, then microwave for 1 minute.
- Drink your coffee with butter and salt. If the headache persists, try drinking a cup of coffee with two tablespoons of butter or coconut oil and half a teaspoon of salt.
Duration of headache
The headache should go away within 30 minutes after drinking 1/2 teaspoon of salt in hot water or broth.
If you do nothing, the headache usually subsides within 3 days but can last up to 3 weeks. It depends on how quickly your body adapts to the fat.
You can prevent headaches from recurring the same way you treat them. Drink salt water, bone broth, or vegetable broth every day.
You can reduce the recurrence of headaches by shortening the transition period from carbohydrates to fat. To do this, reduce your daily net carbs to less than 10 grams per day and add MCTs or olive oil to all meals.
Watch Video: Ketogenic diet and headache