Can you have ice cream on keto? Yes, but it can really depend on the type of ice cream. It can also depend on what your goals are with keto and can lead to some mixed opinions. For example, if you’re looking for something that is high in protein and low in sugar then getting a low fat or no-sugar-added option can be a good idea. However, if your goal is weight loss then making sure to limit yourself will be important as well so try not to overindulge too much!
What you'll read:
So, can you have ice cream on keto?
The answer? Yes, but it can depend on the type of ice cream and can lead to some mixed opinions about whether or not keto allows ice cream.
If you’re looking for something high in protein and low in sugar then getting a low fat or no-sugar added option can be good. However, if weight loss is your goal then make sure not overindulge too much!
Frozen yogurt can also be an option as they tend to have less sugars than traditional full fat ice creams so try that instead!
Why is it bad to have ice cream on keto?
Keto is a low-carb, high-fat diet that has been shown to be beneficial for weight loss. However, the keto diet does not allow many foods like ice cream because it contains too much sugar and carbs and can also lead to an overconsumption which can cause weight gain.
The sugar content in most ice creams is way too high. Sugar has no nutritional value and will spike blood sugar levels. It also increases inflammation and may lead to weight gain or loss of muscle mass. This means that many people who are following a low carb or ketogenic diet should avoid eating ice cream because it contains more than 10 grams of carbohydrates per serving, which would mean they’re consuming more than their daily allotted amount of carbs.
What kind of ice cream can you have on keto?
Are you keto and looking for ice cream? There are so many delicious flavors of ice cream on the market, but not all of them are keto-friendly. The good news is there are plenty that will work with your diet, just be sure to read labels before buying!
Alternative to ice cream on keto:
We all know that ice cream is a delicious treat and a great alternative for those on keto diet. But what’s out there for you if you don’t want to give up your sweet tooth? Here are some of the best options!
1. Frozen yogurt can also be an option as they tend to have less sugars than traditional full fat ice creams so try that instead!
2.Try keto-friendly alternatives such as coconut ice cream or sugar free popsicles. Coconut milk has a high content of healthy fats and is great for anyone with dairy sensitivities while the popsicles can be made with sugar substitutes that are keto-friendly.
3. Keto protein shakes can also make a great treat as long as you don’t add too many carbohydrates and use low carb sweeteners like stevia, erythritol or monk fruit to keep the carbs down!
4. Keep in mind there’s always dark chocolate if no ice cream satisfies your cravings but just try not go overboard on it because of its high fat content. It can also contain up to 50% more calories than traditional milk chocolate so be sure to read the label carefully before grabbing anything! (FYI: For those who thrive on sweets, healthy desserts can be an option!) Take for example this ketogenic brownie recipe which can be whipped up in about 30 minutes and can give you that sweet tooth fix.
5. There are also keto-friendly ice creams out there that can offer you a satisfying treat, but they can cost more than traditional ones so make sure to read the labels carefully before buying! For example, Halo Top offers low carb options and sugar substitutes for those who can’t or choose not to eat sugar.
6. If you can’t find a keto ice cream, there are also homemade options like this one for low carb chocolate ice cream made with coconut milk and cocoa powder! Be sure to read the labels on your ingredients before making so it can have less than 20 grams of carbs per serving though.
7. Finally, if all else fails there’s always keto-friendly protein bars available. These can make a great snack that can help fuel your workout or be something you pack for the day to stay on track with your nutrition goals!
Ice cream and Keto
It can be a challenge to find out what can and can’t be eaten when following the ketogenic diet. That being said, ice creams can often contain too many carbohydrates for this type of diet so it’s best to avoid them or look at alternative options like we have discussed in this post.